Formulation Development and Characterization of Enteric Coated Tablets of Lansoprazole | Abstract
Scholars Research Library

Scholars Research Library

A-Z Journals

+44 7389645282

Der Pharmacia Lettre


Formulation Development and Characterization of Enteric Coated Tablets of Lansoprazole

Author(s): Balaji M, Ramyakrishna N, Hanumanaik M

The current study is an endeavor to formulate and assess hindered release enteric coated tablets of Lansoprazole by means of dissimilar enteric coated polymers like Eudragit L30D55, Hydroxy propyl methyl cellulose phthalate and Cellulose acetate phthalate. Tablets can be prepared by using approved excipients, which were proved compatible with the active ingredient by IR studies. Core tablets were primed by wet granulation and, gauged for physical parameters like hardness, friability, thickness, and disintegration time. Core tablets were sub-coated expending Hydroxy propyl methyl cellulose with buildup of 3%w/w and enteric coating with either of polymers with an average weight buildup of 5% & 8% w/w. The disintegration of enteric coated tablets i.e. formulations thru 5% weight buildup (F5a to F5c) in 0.1N HCl might not permit the test. Though, formulations with 8% weight accumulation (F5d to F5f) showed no disintegration in 0.1N HCl for a period of 2hrs. Dissolution of enteric coated tablets (F5d to F5f) in 0.1N HCl and monitored by pH6.8 phosphate buffer was adequate. Amongst the polymers verified, Eudragit L30D55 with 8% (F5d) weight buildup exhibited least release in 0.1N HCl and the comprehensive release in pH 6.8 phosphate buffer. Auxiliary, the plasticizer outcome on Eudragit L30D55 was similarly premeditated (F5d, F5d1 and F5d2) and institute, with proliferation in concentration of plasticizer there is diminished drug release in both 0.1 N HCl and 6.8 pH phosphate buffer. Based on the tablets assessment outcomes, the formulation F5d was designated as the optimized formulation which was constant throughout the study period (90 days).